The G20 is a multilateral forum bringing together 19 of the world’s major economies and the European Union (EU). Its members account for more than 60% of the world population, 75% of global trade and more than 80% of world GDP. The members include Argentina, Australia, Brazil, Canada, China, France, Germany, India, Indonesia, Italy, Mexico, Republic of Korea, Russia, Saudi Arabia, South Africa, Turkey, the United Kingdom, the United States, and the European Union. Established in 1999, the G20 brings together advanced and developing economies to overcome crises together, particularly in Asia, Russia and Latin America. The goal of the G20 is to create and maintain solid, sustainable, balanced and inclusive global growth.
Initially, the G20 was a meeting between Finance Ministers and Central Bank Governors. Since 2008, the G20 has hosted Heads of State at the annual Summit, with development sector discussions commencing in 2010. Since then, the G20 has consisted of the Finance Track and Sherpa Track. Fun Fact: Named after the nomadic people of Nepal who serve as guides, the G20 Sherpa Meetings lead the way to the Summit by carrying out negotiations and building consensus among leaders.
In November 2022, Indonesia have a chance to host a G20 summit! Taking place in Nusa Dua, Bali, this prestigious event will be attended by 19 countries and one economic region, namely the European Union. These 19 countries consist of South Africa, United States of America, Saudi Arabia, Argentina, Australia, Brazil, India, Indonesia, United Kingdom, Italy, Japan, Germany, Canada, Mexico, Republic of Korea, Russia, France, China, and Turkey. With the theme of “Recover Together, Recover Stronger”, at the G20 Summit, Indonesia invites the world to work together in recovering ourselves from the pandemic and build the world in a sustainable way. Here is below, I will show you the interesting facts about what happened during the G20 summit in Bali, Indonesia.
Indonesia is the only ASEAN country that is a member of the G20
At the G20 Summit in 2022, Indonesia will host the G20. The G20 Indonesia presidency emphasized Indonesia’s leadership in the economic field to international diplomacy. This is considering that Indonesia is the only ASEAN country that is a member of the G20.
Elon Musk’s House was Experiencing a Power Outage
A unique moment occurred when Elon Musk attended the B20 Summit virtually in Bali. The event is a series of the G20. When he appeared in dialogue with the moderator, Anindya Bakrie, Musk’s background was dark and only lit by a few lights in front of his face. Musk admitted that his house was experiencing a power outage.
Joe Biden and Xi Jinping Shaking Hands
The G20 Summit made new history, US President Joe Biden and Chinese Leader Xi Jinping shook hands at the G20 Summit event, not forgetting to also take pictures together against the backdrop of the US and Chinese national flags.
The Magnificent Cultural Show at the G20 Summit Gala Dinner
Indonesia presented a magnificent and stunning Indonesian cultural performance to the heads of state and delegates at the GWK Cultural Park. Have you watched yet?
Leaders Dressed in Endek Cloth at the Gala Dinner
World leaders from various countries wore Endek cloth in unison at the G20 Summit gala dinner, the INSTICI community! It is an honor for Indonesia when the Balinese Endek cloth can go global!
World leaders joined in ‘nyangkul’ while participating in the mangrove planting event on 16 November 2022 at the Ngurah Rai Grand Forest Park.
Canadian PM Justin Trudeau and UK PM Rishi Sunak Having Fun Chatting at Cafes in Bali!
Canadian PM Justin Trudeau and British PM Rishi Sunak were seen chatting together at Art Cafe Bumbu Bali. The Prime Minister just really enjoyed the moment in Bali, clear proof that Bali is indeed very safe for the class of state leaders let alone tourists, INSTICI community!
South Korea’s First Lady
Indonesian netizens are busy discussing the first lady of South Korea, Kim Keon-hee, whom they call ‘beautiful’ and ‘fashionable’. How could I not, at the age of 50 years he looks younger. There are those who also comment like watching Korean dramas, it’s so beautiful!
PUPR Minister Becomes a Photographer
PUPR Minister Basuki Hadimuljono was seen mingling among photographers at the Tahura Ngurah Rai. The PUPR Ministry says photography is Minister Basuki’s hobby.
Joe Biden: Bali Is Like Home, I Don’t Want To Go Home
Sandiaga Uno was one of the people who helped release Joe Biden’s return. The US number one returned to his country after participating in the G20 in Bali.
“Minister, thank you very much for your hospitality. Thank you very much for the success of the G20. You’ve made me live on the beach, it’s been great,” said Joe Biden, quoted from Sandiaga’s Instagram account.
Furthermore, Sandiaga also said that Biden is comfortable living in Indonesia. The beach atmosphere makes her feel at home in Bali and doesn’t want to go home.
Stay Patiently Waiting for the Road to Open!
Got viral! Even though they had to wait for hours because the road was closed because the group of leaders to the G20 delegation passed, the Balinese people and tourists were very patient and safe waiting for the traffic jam to end.
Besides the interesting facts which are really interesting to talked about, G20 giving a lot of benefits for Indonesia as the presidency for this year. Below, I will tell you the benefit of G20 for Indonesia, so we hope in the future we can be like the theme for G20 summit this year. We can Recover Together, Recover Stronger. Here are the benefits:
- Amid the ongoing pandemic, the G20 Presidency demonstrates strong perception concerning Indonesia’s economic resilience to the crisis.
- A form of international recognition concerning Indonesia’s position as one of the largest world economies, with the ability to represent other developing economies.
- The G20 Presidency is a once-in-a-generation opportunity and must be fully optimised to provide value added to Indonesia’s recovery in terms of economic activity as well as domestic and international public trust.
- Indonesia can orchestrate the G20 agenda discussions to support and boost economic recovery activity in Indonesia.
- An opportunity to demonstrate Indonesia’s leadership in the global economic recovery. From a regional perspective, the G20 Presidency affirms Indonesia’s leadership in terms of international and economic diplomacy in the region, considering Indonesia is the only G20 member among ASEAN countries.
- The G20 Presidency will position Indonesia at the forefront of international focus and attention, particularly in terms of the economy and finance. This will showcase Indonesia’s impressive achievements to the world and represents a starting point for restoring post-pandemic economic confidence at home and internationally.
- G20 meetings in Indonesia also present an opportunity to introduce Indonesia’s tourism sector and local products to the world, thus reviving the national economy.